This morning’s breakfast: Baked Apple Cinnamon French Toast
1 pound loaf of French bread, sliced thin
1 1/2 cups skim or 2% milk
1/3 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
6 apples – peeled, core
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 tablespoons white sugar
2 tablespoons melted butter
1/2 cup white sugar
1/4 cup flour
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup skim or 2% milk
1 teaspoons vanilla extract
1. Cut bread into thin slices and fit in 9 X 13 sprayed pan in 2 layers. Fill in crevices and holes with pieces of the bread as much as possible. In a large bowl, beat eggs with 1 1/2 cup milk, 1/3 cup sugar, and 1 tablespoon vanilla. Pour egg mixture over bread slices.
2. Arrange apple slices on top of bread. Brush with melted butter. Sprinkle cinnamon/sugar, nutmeg mixture over apples. Cover with aluminum foil and refrigerate over night.
3. In the morning, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
4. Bake Toast covered for 1/2 hour, and uncovered for 1/2 hour – 40 minutes. It should be puffy and not runny. Let stand for approximately 10 minute after removing from the oven.
5. Sauce: Combine 1/2 cup white sugar, flour, and butter; Stir in brown sugar, 1/2 cup milk, and 2 teaspoons vanilla in saucepan. Cook until thick. Serve with warm sauce drizzled over top with a dollop of whipped cream.
Recipe is a modified version of one found on Allrecipes.com submitted by Joan Rembacz.